Monday, July 15, 2013

Here and Now

I usually have no use for the past experiences when I am "here and now". But sometimes, my life, my spiritual guru, sends some moments, which are hard to let go. My trip to Mexico was one of the fascinating experiences that happened to me last year.
All the way from a snowy american town State College to a tropical Caribbean tourist destination Cancun, I was overly excited to take winter boots and coat off and enjoy gentle humidity and sun shines of Mexico on my skin; but most of all I was excited to make a list of "must-visit" places that were advertised by friends and Internet. What was amazing in Mexico are the beautiful nature, wonderful history, local hostile people, unforgettable shopping, and of course warm ocean! What was dissatisfying is the shortness of winter days which made it impossible to cover everything we wanted to see. I did go to Chichen Itza - a great pre-Colombian city built by Maya, which is located in Yucatan, (~ four hours from Cancun). I can talk for hours about the magnificence of this "mythical" site. Its various architectural style (it was not entirely "Maya-style") verifies that the population of the city was culturally diverse. The distinctive set of traditions, beliefs and art of Maya civilization, as well as the sacredness in the air always attract people from all over the world to visit this large city. From our amazing tour guide Abel, we found out a lot of interesting facts about Maya, like they were the first people who invented "zero", and further developed the math. They were also the only ones who had a written system of language in pre-Colombian America. Their medicinal and astronomical inventions still surprise everyone.
Briefly, you have to be there to understand how special this place is.
 Feliz Navidad and Feliz Ano Nuevo







 Divine




 Virgin white sand beaches
 Houses of La Isla Mujeres